Wednesday 29 October 2014

Procedure of Pre_production Unit 1


Unit 1 PRE-PRODUCTION TECHNIQUES FOR THE CREATIVE MEDIA INDUSTRIES

Brief

I have four weeks to produce my maze game, this is the deadline set by Wayne for this assignment. It must have at least 5 levels, collectables and enemies. “Create a Maze game for the students to play that also helps them develop their mathematics skills. The main character of this game ‘Brainbox’ has to move from level to level solving increasing difficult maths based problems. Each level should show a different maths problem and the level of the maths problem should be GCSE grade C Mathematics.”

 

Procedure:

Available finance & Budget-

As this is part of a college course all software and hard ware will be provided free, but if I had to buy it the total costs would be:

 

PC- £1000 (hardware – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, Intel 8 core I7, 8GB Ram, Windows 7, iiyama Pro Lite E2278HSD monitor)

Game Maker-£0

Adobe complete pack-£1200

Audacity-£0

 

I would estimate the budget for soft/hard ware at about £2200. This is all in house equipment, all in one facility (the college). As it is only a 2D platform game and will not need dedicated studios and facilities for each aspect of the game (graphics, sounds etc.).

 

Again, because this is a college assignment I will not be going off site to locations so I will be using images on the internet for inspiration and reference. If this were a real game to be sold, I would want to go to locations of mathematical relevance around the UK to get inspiration and use images I get for reference in sprite and level design (e.g. the botanical gardens and educational cartoons and TV shows).



I will not need any financial contribution as all of the equipment is free, but if I was developing this game outside of college I still would not need financial contributions as a games designer makes on average £40,000 per year at entry level (http://www.gameindustrycareerguide.com/video-game-programmer-salary/) and the total costs of this project is £3558 (all materials, personnel and travel).

 

Personnel-

As this is my assignment, I will be the only one working on it but I may get friends to contribute music clips if they play an instrument. If this were for a company, I would consider an art and concept team, voice actors or musicians and a program and coding team although they would be small as the game is not that technical or advanced and would not want to make the budget for the personnel exceed its efficiency and the estimated profit. I would estimate the total cost it wages to be £1248 at three members of staff on £6.50 an hour (UK minimum wage -https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates), four hours a day, four days a week for four weeks. I think this would be an efficient number of employees to complete the task to a good degree of quality in the required time.

 

Resources-

·         PC with required specifications on hard ware

·         Game maker

·         Adobe complete pack

·         Audacity

·         Audio clips

Schedule-

A documentation of the requirements and activities/tasks that need to be completed with reference to time required and restraints like deadlines. The tasks will be ordered in importance and have time set depending on their difficulty and complexity, also the quality of standard they require.

Health and safety, Risk assessment-

I will assess risks involved in the production of my game, as it will be developed by me in college there are not that many. The only things being PAT testing of electrical equipment, food and drink around the equipment and trip hazards of wires. If this was a game development in the real world for a company, I would consider the risks involved mainly in the travel e.g. weather conditions in locations, medical histories of any personal I would take their etc.

 

Legal aspects-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Newpegi_18.svg/600px-Newpegi_18.svg.pngWhen advertising, I would consider the Advertising Standards Authority (the UK's independent regulator of advertising for all media) and make sure I meet their regulations and requirements.

 

For Pan European Game Information (A European video game content rating system to help European consumers make decisions on buying computer games) I would consider the level of violence, nudity, language etc. in my game and rate the game accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment